BCCD Board and Staff
The activities of BCCD are governed by a five-person Board of Supervisors. The current members of the Board are:
Board of Supervisors
- Ken Leach, Chair, Rupert -- Chair, Rupert -- Ken is a dairy farmer and sugar maker.
- Jim Henderson, Vice-Chair, Sandgate -- Jim Henderson is the Senior-GIS Planner at the Bennington County Regional Commission. He and his wife Nancy live in Sandgate with their three children. He is an avid hunter and fisherman and enjoys skiing and making maple syrup with his kids.
- Alan Calfee, Chair, Rupert -- Chair, Rupert -- Alan is principal in Calfee Woodland Management, where he helps landowners of all kinds meet their goals while protecting and enhancing forest ecosystem health and productivity. Alan was instrumental in developing the Forest Stewardship Council, and is an occasional adjunct professor at UVM and Middlebury College.
- Debbie Johnson, Shaftsbury -- Debbie works her family farm in West Shaftsbury.
- Joe Nolan, Arlington -- Joe is a logger, raises beef cows, and helps his father on the family farm in West Arlington.
One board position is open.
- Philip Rivara, Soil Conservationist -- Philip works for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, assisting farmers, landowners, conservation districts, schools and others in conserving natural resources.
- Shelly Stiles, BCCD District Manager --
Shelly Stiles has been district manager since 1993. Her background is in
horticulture and non-profit communications. She is an avid hiker, gardener, and
mushroom hunter. She lives with her significant other Michael Batcher in nearby
Buskirk, NY, where they manage their grasslands using prescribed fire.