BCCD Board and Staff
The activities of BCCD are governed by a five-person Board of Supervisors. The current
members of the Board are:
Board of Supervisors
- Jim Henderson, Vice-chairperson, Sandgate -- Jim
Henderson is the Senior-GIS Planner at the Bennington County Regional Commission. He and
his wife Nancy live in Sandgate with their three children. He is an avid hunter and
fisherman and enjoys skiing and making maple syrup with his kids.
- Debbie Johnson, Shaftsbury -- Debbie works her family farm in West Shaftsbury.
- Alan Calfee, Dorset -- Alan is principal in Calfee Woodland Management, where he helps landowners of all kinds meet their goals while protecting and enhancing forest ecosystem health and productivity. Alan was instrumental in developing the Forest Stewardship Council, and is an occasional adjunct professor at UVM and Middlebury College.
Two board positions are open.
- Carla Fenner, Soil Conservationist -- Carla works for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, assisting farmers, landowners, conservation districts, schools and others in conserving natural resources.
- Shelly Stiles, BCCD District Manager --
Shelly Stiles has been district manager since 1993. Her background is in
horticulture and non-profit communications. She is an avid hiker, gardener, and
mushroom hunter. She lives with her significant other Michael Batcher in nearby
Buskirk, NY, where they manage their grasslands using prescribed fire.